Communication Theory and Practice (CTP Blog) #1

            

                Communication is essential to everyday life. People would not be able to live a fulfilling life without communicating with one another. Even though the term "communication" seems broad enough to understand what it means, there are many different levels of communication that can be overlooked by many people. The aspects of communication that I found the most interesting to me were intrapersonal and interpersonal communication. Although I am a communications major, I have never heard of intrapersonal communication. This area of communication tends to be glossed over by many people and some do not even consider it a part of communication because all of the communication goes on inside someone's head. If intrapersonal communication only happens in one's mind, then how could it be so important? Intrapersonal communication is so important because even though we cannot visually see it, everyone communicates with themselves in their mind. Everyone has thoughts they have whenever they are about to do a chore or wondering how they are going to complete an upcoming assignment they may have. Whenever someone is in a stressful situation, they will most likely try to calm themselves down by thinking of positive affirmations that things will ultimately get better. Intrapersonal communication is also so fascinating to me because it can really help one get a better understanding for who they are as an individual and how they perceive themselves rather than thinking of how other people might view their character. 

http://thecommunicationprocess.com/intrapersonal-communication/




                The other aspect of communication that tends to be the most interesting to me and which is also one of the more "well-known" levels of communication in interpersonal relationships. Interpersonal communication is the most common to see aspect of communication because it happens in every single relationship we have with another individual. Despite this type of communication to be so common, what is so fascinating to me is that it can occur at any time or in any place. Interpersonal communication can be very spontaneous and cause a bit of uncertainty in the heat of the moment while you are with another person. With interpersonal communication, there is almost always a known goal that is the basis of where the conversation is going. You might message a friend online and say "Hello" to them as a way of ultimately getting them to converse with you so that you can later invite them to go out to dinner. In the end, there is a goal that you are trying to gain with that conversation. Both intrapersonal and interpersonal communication will be used in one's professional life one way or the other, but how can one know what they want their professional goals to be  in terms of communication?

Information About Interpersonal Communication Academically Reviewed by Dr. Louis Rumpf

              As of right now, I am still not entirely sure what I want my professional area of interest to be in terms of communication. To be straightforward, I never even really knew that there were different aspects of communication even though I am a new communications major. But, after doing my first reading for my Communication Foundations class, I don't think I have ever been so intrigued about all they types of communication and how they can be applied to different situations. From my reading, I feel like I am most interested in learning more about interpersonal or mass communication. Interpersonal communication catches my attention because it is used so very often in our day-to-day lives, but on the other hand mass communication also has my interest because I find it interesting how information can be spread through the media and how all of the people absorbing that information may view and perceive it. Whenever I tell someone that I chose communications for my major, they normally shrug or ask me why out of all majors I chose that particular one. I feel like communication is overlooked because we all use it as humans and even if someone thinks they are a good communicator, there is always room to improve one's skills so that they can create a more oriented and well-balanced life for themselves. I am looking forward to studying communications so that I can improve my abilities when interacting with others in any situation I may be thrown in.


Comments

  1. Hi Aubrie! I too found intrapersonal communication to be one of the most intriguing forms of communication. I really related to what you had to say in your post because I also feel that intrapersonal communication is what is absolutely necessary in order for being in tune with oneself and staying true to who one is. In terms of your career goals, know that it’s completely normal to not know what you’d like to do, especially in communications because it’s such a broad field. Great insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aubrie! I'm glad someone else is also interested in intrapersonal communication. You're right to say it's overlooked. In fact, I didn't even know there was a whole field of study dedicated to communication with oneself in the communications field! About career goals, to be honest, I only kind of know what I'm doing. I have ideas about what I want to do, but I'm just not quite sure yet. I've also had many panicked conversations with myself about if I'm doing what I really want...it's only the second week of college. Anyways, I think it's pretty normal to not be sure of things during your first year. We're in it together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully said! I, too, was unaware of the various forms of communication and now feel like I have even more catching up to do. It can be overwhelming at times, but often it's also fun! I find myself constantly working on improving my communication skills, and it feels like a daily battle, but also a win.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment